Saturday, July 18, 2015

A "call to artists" post made me aware that a mural opportunity at the Atlas Street Garden was available.  I've not yet had too many opportunities to work outside so I was very excited to see what an outdoor mural would entail. I did some research on my painting materials, and noting this was outside in a spot, I choose to go with a water based enamel over an oil. This would both simplify my clean up and shorten my dry time. It was my lucky day at Sherwin Williams as they were having a fantastic sale on the paints I had planned to get on the day I was there. Since this mural was to be Per Gratis for the Atlas Street Garden and the community, I was grateful for the unplanned discount. I went for a simplified color scheme to both emphasize the illustration quality of the work as well as to keep my investment costs reasonable. Even if I typically enjoy working with a full color palette,  I felt this was a great situation to play with the idea of "less is more".

First the background went on. I choose a dynamic zig-zag pattern for the mural. I wanted to bring something whimsical and friendly to the garden space and neighborhood. I researched real life circus and trained animals performing on wheeled contraptions and they were my inspiration. The finished work became an animal parade (titled: Circus Wheels) with circus animals bike riding and skating.  Since the mural is in close proximity to Recycle Bicycle, I felt this was a friendly nod to that neighborhood group also.
 
 
 It was a pleasure being able to bring this idea to life and into the community at the Atlas Street Garden, and its my sincerest hope all who happen upon it will enjoy having this impromptu circus parade in your midst. One of my favorite stars that inspired the mural was Jimmy, The Roller Skating Horse. Yes, there really was a roller skating horse!  Meet Jimmy.
 
 
I do feel it is important for me to note that the idea of animals being trained to perform, in the circus or otherwise, has become a hot topic of discussion of late. Some find it exploitative. I fail to understand how providing an animal with a job could be confused with a terrible life?  I am coming from a background working in animal training, most notably with horses. It stands to be my position that it is necessary for any animal living in domestic situation to have a job and/or purpose that supports keeping an active, healthy mind. All animals, and especially large intelligent animals, should have access to a life with adequate mental stimulation. Work is an acceptable stand in for what an animal would mentally have to deal with in a wild setting. Although its nice to imagine all animals as wild a free, this is not possible in our current world.  As we continue to loose available environments where animals can thrive naturally, the harder it is for them to make it in this life, too. The best we can do as their human keepers is to provide these special few animals who have found themselves in our lives with good health, plenty of love and a purpose. That is as true today as it was across history.  It is my pleasure to celebrate the amazing talents of animals and bring this rich history to the community for all to enjoy, like the circus and animals has always have.

No comments:

Post a Comment